unna tAvuna-nuNDaniyyadu vAnaShow Details
urumulaitE venaka tiyyadu
|This rain will not let us remain at this place; |
and, the roaring of thunder will not abate.
suDi gAli1 yODa juTTi2Show Details
vaDi vaDigA vAnalaitE koTTi (yunna)
|The whirl wind is twirling the boat |
and the rain is pouring down very violently.
ODalO randhramu kaligEyIShow Details
|A fissure has developed in the boat!|
Now, who is the refuge for these damsels?
kanulakendu kAna rAduShow Details
gati4 kALindi5 manakika mIdu (yunna)
|Nothing is visible to the eyes;|
and we are doomed in the river Kalindi.
mati pOvu dAri janirammA6 apuDEShow Details
madamimpa7 valadaNTinammA (unna)
|The damsels acted the way their minds dictated; |
I told you then itself, ‘it is not appropriate to be conceited’.
manamokkacO8 kUDa rAduShow Details
praLaya mananidigA vEru lEdu
|We should not gather at one side (in the boat); |
this indeed is what dissolution is, nothing else.
rAja vadanalu rArammA tyAga-Show Details
rAja sakhuni jUDarammA (unna)
|O Moon Faced damsels! Come, |
look at Krishna, friend of Thyagaraja.
- In some books, Charana 1 is given as Anupallavi.
- 1suDi gAli – sUTi gAli: suDi gAli - is appropriate.
- 2ODa juTTi vaDi vaDigA vAnalaitE– ODa juTTi vaDigA vAnalaitE - ODa juTTi juTTi vaDi vAnalaitE
- 3saliga – salige - saliga - is appropriate.
- 6janirammA – pOyirammA
- 7madamimpa valadaNTinammA – madaminta vaddaNTinammA
- This Kriti forms part of dance drama 'Nauka Charitram' - Tha Boat Story .
- Background – The Gopis meet Krishna at the Yamuna river and travel in a boat happily. In their excitement of meeting Krishna, Gopis become proud thinking that Krishna is their property. In order to remove their proudiness, Krishna creates a storm in the river and as the boat is tossed about.
- 4gati kALindi – The word ‘gati’ generally means ‘refuge’. In colloquial terms, it means ‘doom’ when referring to a disastrous situation. Accordingly, ‘doom’ has been adopted in keeping with the context.
- 5kAlindi – River Yamuna. It is also stated that Balarama made a channel from river Yamuna (by his plough) which was called Kalindi.
- 8manamokkacO kUDa rAdu – we should not assemble in one place. This may also refer to the decision of Gopis to assemble at the river side for frolicking with Krishna also – we should not have aseembled in one place’.
|Nauka Charitram (Drama) of Tyagaraja|