allakallOla mAyenamma yamunA dEviShow Details
|It has all resulted in utter chaos, O Yamuna Devi!|
Please relieve all our troubles.
mollalacE1 pUjiJci mrokkedamuShow Details
|We salute You worshipping with jasmine flowers; |
please protect us, Mother!
mAru bAriki2 tALalEkayIShow Details
tArumArAye bratuku tattaLiJcunadendAka (alla)
|Unable to withstand Cupid's attack, |
we brought this prince here;
but now life is in shambles; how long shall we suffer?
gAli-vAnalu niNDArAyeShow Details
mA panulella gEli sEyuTakeDamAye
mAlimitO mammElu maganiyeDabAyanAye
|The storm has turned very vigorous; |
Our actions have given room for ridicule;
we are separated from our husbands who lovingly look after us.
sommulella nIkosagedamamma yamunA dEviyIShow Details
sumukhuni gaTTu jErpumamma
emme kAni3 baliminiyEla teccitimamma
|We offer You all our ornaments, O Yamuna Devi!|
Please let this handsome one reach ashore;
Why ever did we bring Him forcibly here?
naLina bhavuDu vrAsina vrAluyeTlaina kAniShow Details
nAthuDu bratikiyuNTE cAlu
praLayamulayyenu E pani cEsina bhAmalu (alla)
|Whatever might happen to be ordained by Brahma, |
it is enough if our Lord remains alive;
whatever be the action undertaken by the damsels, it has become disastrous.
dEhamulella nosagedamamma O dEviShow Details
kRSNa dEvuni gaTTu jErpumamma
mOhanAGguni mEmu mOsa-buccitimamma (alla)
|We all offer our bodies, O Devi!|
Somehow reach our Lord Krishna ashore;
We have deceived the Lord with charming body.
mEmokkaTeJca pOtimammaShow Details
mA pali dEvuDEmEmO eJcukonnADamma
rAmarO4 zrI tyAgarAjAptuni bAyamamma
|We thought something, |
but our Lord thought something totally different;
However, we damsels will not be separated from Thyagaraja's friend.
- General – ‘amma’ endings in the Kriti is not uniform, somewhere it is given as ‘amma’ and elsewhere as ‘ammA’. All the books have different versions of ‘amma’ at every occurrence. Therefore, for uniformity sake ‘amma’ has been given in all places.
- In some books Anupallavi is as given as part of pallavi.
- 4rAmarO – bhAmarO
- 1molla – A kind of jasmine - jasminum multiflorum or jasminum pubescens.
- 2bAriki – assault. See the related expression maru bAri ika Orva jAlanurA in the varnam Evari bodhana.
- 3emme kAni – 'This is how it is given in all the books. 'emme' means 'loveliness', 'charm', 'sport', etc. In the present context none of these meanings seem to fit. In some books, this seems to have been translated as 'why we'. It is possible that the word is 'Eme' and not 'emme'.
|Nauka Charitram (Drama) of Tyagaraja|